WebMO Home Page
Support & Tutorials
Buy WebMO Pro/Ent
Obtain Free License
WebMO 15.0 is now available for free download!
WebMO 15.0 Pro and Enterprise have a variety of additional features and is available for
The WebMO app for iPad/iPhone is now available on the App Store.
January 31, 2015
The WebMO Demo Server is now up and running! Log in as follows:
Job Time Limit: Because the WebMO Demo Server is a shared resource, jobs are limited to one minute (60 seconds) of CPU time!
Java Requirements for WebMO
WebMO requires a web browser to support Java 2, LiveConnect, and Cascading Style Sheet technology.
See WebMO supported web browsers for details and Java installation instructions.
- Windows 9X/ME/NT/2000/XP/Vista: WebMO works with Internet Explorer, Firefox, and other browsers. Sun's Java engine version 1.4 or higher is required.
- Mac OS X: WebMO works with Safari, Firefox, and other browsers on OS X 10.3 and higher. Java 1.4.2 or higher is required (available from Apple as a System Update). Some browser versions require a plug-in to enable LiveConnect (available from SourceForge.net). Instructions for pre-10.3 are linked below.
- Unix/Linux: WebMO works with Firefox and other browsers. Sun's java engine and a plug-in are required.
The following instructions will build the formaldehyde molecule, optimize its geometry, and display the results:
- Log in to the WebMO Demo Server as Username="guest" and Password="guest" (no quotes)
- In the WebMO Job Manager page, click "New Job"
- In the Build Molecule page, in the WebMO Editor applet:
- Note the status line ("Build Mode - C ..."); click in the middle of the applet to insert a carbon atom
- In the menu, choose Build: O to make oxygen active; note the status line
- Click on the C atom, drag, and let up the mouse button to insert a bond to an oxygen atom
- Drag between C and O again to change the single bond to a double bond
- In the menu, choose Clean-Up: Comprehensive; note that hydrogens are added, bond lengths are idealized, and bond angles are idealized (WebMO knows organic chemistry!)
- In the bottom right corner of the Build Molecule page, click the Continue arrow
- In the Choose Computational Engine page, click Mopac, and then click the Continue arrow
- In the Configure Mopac Job Options page:
- Select Calculation: Geometry Optimization
- Click the Continue arrow to submit your job; note that your job appears in the WebMO Job Manager page
- In the WebMO Job Manager page, click "Refresh" to update the page; note that the job Status is Complete
- Click the job title "CH2O" to arrive at the View Results page; scroll down to look at your Calculated Quantities; in particular:
- Note the computed Symmetry (C2V), Heat of Formation (-34.08 kcal/mol), and Dipole Moment (2.16 Debye)
- Note the computed C=O bond order (1.98) and C-H bond order (0.93)
- Click the Partial Charge View icon (magnifying glass)
- In the WebMO Viewer applet, click O, shift-click C, and shift-click H; look at the status line to view the computed O-C-H bond angle
- To the left of the WebMO Viewer applet, click the Raw Output link to see what Mopac actually calculated
Copyright © 2009, WebMO, LLC, all rights reserved.