WebMO - Computational chemistry on the WWW
Recent news

WebMO 10.0 is now available for free download!

WebMO 10.0 Pro and Enterprise have a variety of additional features and is available for purchase.

WebMO can now be installed on Windows, Mac, and Unix servers!

October 25, 2014

Commercial use of WebMO is permitted? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

WebMO Support Forum » Licensing » Commercial use of WebMO is permitted? « Previous Next »

Chobby Watanabe
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 4:54 am:   

Hi, forum members,

WebMO is very useful and helpful for many world-wide Gaussian & GAMESS users, so I'm examining commercial use of WebMO (like Application Service Provider business based on WebMO and Gaussian). Is such a commercial use of WebMO permitted? And, if the permission depends on WebMO versions (Free/Pro/Enterprise), please tell me which version of WebMO can be used for commercial use.

Thanks in advance,
Polik
Username: Polik

Post Number: 21
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 11:27 am:   

Yes, commercial use of WebMO is permitted, both for research & development and for delivery of computational services.

There is no fee for commercial use of "WebMO Free." However, to use WebMO Pro or Enterprise, you would purchase a "commercial license" rather than an "academic license."

The choice among WebMO Free/Pro/Enterprise would depend on the features you would want to offer your users. I would guess that most users would expect to see Pro features in a commercial product, and Enterprise would be necessary to deploy WebMO on a cluster and/or support user groups. But the choice of version is up to you.

Of course, you would also need to obtain appropriate licensing for commercial use of the underlying computational engine, e.g., Gaussian, from the respective company, e.g., Gaussian, Inc.

Please feel free to request further clarification from webmo@webmo.net.
Chobby Watanabe
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 9:03 pm:   

Polik,

Thank you for your prompt reply and detailed information, and I'm glad to hear commercial use of WebMO is permitted :-)

I understand that purchasing "commercial license" is needed for commercial use of WebMP Pro or Enterprise (and license of underlying computational engine such as Gaussian). I will begin selecting appropriate version of WebMO for my case as considering what you wrote.

Thanks,
Chobby Watanabe
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 4:12 am:   

I have another question related to commercial use of WebMO.

Can I use WebMO Free/Pro/Enterprise for constructing
a commercial WebMO website to EXTERNAL users
(people who are NOT members of my company)?
I'm thinking about an ASP business that I construct a
WebMO website and earn money from lots of EXTERNAL users
as a charge for Gaussian computation service via WebMO.
Please let me know which WebMO version can/cannot be used
for my use-case.

Thanks,
Polik
Username: Polik

Post Number: 22
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 10:37 am:   

You may use WebMO Free/Pro/Enterprise for a commercial site that is accessible by external users. In addition to obtaining a commercial license from WebMO LLC for WebMO, it is your responsibility to obtain a separate license from Gaussian Inc. that would allow external users to use their software. (My understanding is that Gaussian Inc.'s normal site license or individual license does not cover this situation, so you would need to work out this specific situation with them separately.)
Chobby Watanabe
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 12:39 am:   

Polik, thank you for your reply!

I'm happy to hear that I may use WebMO Free/Pro/Enterprise for a commercial site that is accessible by external users :-)
Thank you for pointing out about a separate license from Gaussian Inc., I'll make a plan to obtain it.
Paul Siders
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, January 07, 2010 - 8:18 am:   

I am working on a grant proposal to deliver computational chemistry to schools via the web, using WebMO as the interface. The granting agency does not allow purchase of computer equipment, so I am looking for a web hosting company that will run computational software (Gaussian, Gamess, NWCHEM) and host a WebMO web site. Can anyone suggest such a web-host provider? Thanks.
JR Schmidt
Username: Schmidt

Post Number: 130
Posted on Thursday, January 07, 2010 - 10:34 am:   

I think you may be hard pressed to find a traditional web hosting company that will let you burn that many resources. But there may be companies that well effectively lease you an entire server, who will not care what you do with the CPU cycles!

Alternatively, you should contact NCSA. I know they had done some work with WebMO for high school students, and using some of there servers may be feasible.

Add Your Message Here
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration