WebMO - Computational chemistry on the WWW
Recent news

WebMO 10.0 is now available for free download!

WebMO 10.0 Pro and Enterprise have a variety of additional features and is available for purchase.

WebMO can now be installed on Windows, Mac, and Unix servers!

July 28, 2014

Public web page URL Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

WebMO Support Forum » Licensing » Public web page URL « Previous Next »

John Keller
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, November 19, 2009 - 5:59 am:   

Hi JR or Will,
How do I assign a URL to the WebMO server that does not include its fully qualified domain name? Currently this is

http://chemlinux1.cns.
(delete all these characters.and make one line)
uaf.edu/~keller1/cgi-bin/webmo/login.cgi

I eventually wish to make our WebMO a public resource, at least for those outside Univ of Alaska that have WebMO passwords, and I don't think that using this type of address is good practice for security reasons. I'm even paranoid about sending this address in this message!

JK
JR Schmidt
Username: Schmidt

Post Number: 126
Posted on Thursday, November 19, 2009 - 9:34 am:   

It really doesn't matter whether you assign the WebMO server a fully qualified domain name or not, it will still be accessible to the outside world. (Just as will be any other website on that computer.)

The proper way to limit access to WebMO is by setting up proper firewall rules to limit access. Ask your local admin for help, or do a search for "linux iptables". Apache / WebMO utilize tcp port 80, so you would want to limit access to this port (and probably the computer as a WHOLE) to only IP addresses from inside the university.

Add Your Message Here
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration