WebMO - Computational chemistry on the WWW
Recent news

WebMO 9.1 is now available for free download!

WebMO 9.1 Pro and Enterprise have a variety of additional features and is available for purchase.

Signup for the free Computational Chemistry for Chemistry Educators workshop, which uses WebMO.

August 23, 2019

Can't create directories when submitt... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

WebMO Support Forum » WebMO Installation » Other » Can't create directories when submitting jobs... Apache? « Previous Next »

Kenward_Vaughan
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, June 13, 2009 - 4:09 am:   

I'm a raw recruit with apache, so something must be wrong with my config of it...

Got everything up and running, tried to submit a quick mopac job, and got the following error:

Error in eval: Cannot create directory: Permission denied at jobcontrol.cgi line 56. at engine_shared.cgi line 60.

I assume this is apache. I followed the directions pretty much as specified on the WebMO site. I'm using Debian (Sid) and the latest Apache (apache2, 2.2.11).

Any quick obvious fix from experienced folks?

Thanks!
JR Schmidt
Username: Schmidt

Post Number: 102
Posted on Saturday, June 13, 2009 - 10:19 am:   

Sounds like your Apache config is probably OK if you got that far. It sounds like a file permission problem during the installation. Please send me your WebMO diagnostic information (see https://www.webmo.net/support/troubleshoot.html)

Send me the diagnose.html file via email, and I will take a look.
Kenward_Vaughan
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, June 13, 2009 - 12:39 pm:   

It should be there now.

I installed into my home directory as suggested. I can send stripped down versions of the apache files if needed.

Thanks!
JR Schmidt
Username: Schmidt

Post Number: 103
Posted on Saturday, June 13, 2009 - 1:57 pm:   

That all looks good. Two possibilities:

1) seLINUX is installed. Try 'cat /etc/selinux/config' to see. If its enabled, you are in for a world of problems. This was the default on some distros for a while, but it caused so many problems I think the default is now disabled. If you don't know what it is, then you don't need it :-)

2) Please send me the output of 'ls -alFR /home/daddy/webmo'
Kenward_Vaughan
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, June 13, 2009 - 2:46 pm:   

They should be there. Looks like selinux is enabled, at the warning level. I'll set it to disabled and see what happens.
Kenward_Vaughan
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, June 13, 2009 - 4:08 pm:   

Hmm. No help turning selinux off.

I've sent the userdir.conf file to you also. My problem is understanding the effect of the various parameters (the apache docs are pretty good, but I have no clue what certain things mean). I tried commenting out the <limit> and <limitexcept> statements but that had no effect either.
Kenward_Vaughan
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, June 13, 2009 - 4:47 pm:   

I've figured out where the problem lies...

From the 'ls -alFR /home/daddy/webmo' listing:

/home/daddy/webmo:
total 68
drwxrwxrwx 5 daddy daddy 4096 2009-06-13 12:01 ./
drwxr-sr-x 198 daddy daddy 20480 2009-06-13 13:09 ../
drwxrwxrwx 2 daddy daddy 4096 2009-06-12 16:54 admin/
drwxr-xr-x 2 nobody root 4096 2009-06-12 17:24 bill/
drwxr-xr-x 2 nobody root 4096 2009-06-12 17:23 daddy/

The last two have no write permissions. Changing these to 777 cleared the problem.

How is this avoided normally? Where did I likely mess up in the installation?

Add Your Message Here
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration