WebMO - Computational chemistry on the WWW
Recent news

WebMO 10.0 is now available for free download!

WebMO 10.0 Pro and Enterprise have a variety of additional features and is available for purchase.

WebMO can now be installed on Windows, Mac, and Unix servers!

August 23, 2019

Installing WebMO on Tomcat 6 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

WebMO Support Forum » WebMO Installation » Uploading the WebMO Distribution to Your Server » Installing WebMO on Tomcat 6 « Previous Next »

bobgr
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, January 11, 2010 - 11:18 am:   

Hi,

I would like to use the WebMO applet to display calculational results within a Web application. I don't necessarily need WebMO to do the calculations itself, although it would be a nice plus; instead, I envision uploading calculational result files from elsewhere.

I am unable to successfully install WebMO. In my Linux (Ubuntu) installation, Tomcat runs under root. Its configuration files are in /etc/tomcat6/ and its library is in /var/lib/tomcat6/lib/. My web app has its files in /aceorg/aceorg/DEV-2.2/epoch-plugin/web/ (hereafter domain/) and /aceorg/aceorg/DEV-2.2/lite/web/. We have a directory domain/public/ that can be accessed without user login, so I put the WebMO files in domain/public/webmo/. I put the cgi files in domain/public/webmo/cgi, and I created a symlink domain/WEB-INF/cgi to there. In /etc/tomcat6/web.xml, I uncommented the XML around the cgi servlet instructions and set cgiPathPrefix to WEB-INF/cgi.

When I go to domain/public/public/webmo/cgi/login.cgi with my browser, I see only the text, and it tells me my server is not configured to execute cgi scripts.

I looked at your installation support pages, but the section on configuring Apache appears to be for user installation, not for server installation, nor do I see a configuration file anywhere that ends in .conf. Even looking at your instructions for server installation, I don't have an httpd directory, and I'm not sure which directory I should use instead.

Any help you can offer would be appreciated.
JR Schmidt
Username: Schmidt

Post Number: 131
Posted on Monday, January 11, 2010 - 1:37 pm:   

Unfortunately I am not at ALL familiar with Tomcat as a webserver (Apache is almost the 100% universal webserver of choice!) You may find it useful to look through the Apache configuration: this is for SERVER and not CLIENT configuration! (No software need be installed on the client, only a web browser is needed.)
bobgr
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, January 12, 2010 - 5:21 pm:   

We are committed to Tomcat 6. Apache is not an option.

Suppose we are interested only in the display applet. (We can acquire the calculation results elsewhere.) Can you supply us with a working display applet?
JR Schmidt

Post Number: 133
Posted on Tuesday, January 12, 2010 - 6:00 pm:   

A few points:

* The display applet is interlinked with the HTML and Javascript, and is not really of much use on its own.

* I am very confident that WebMO will work with Tomcat (it is webserver agnostic!). It is just a configuration issue. You need to figure out how to enable cgi scripts on Tomcat (google it--I see a few promising hits). Then during installation make sure to set the WebMO cgi-bin directory under the Tomcat cgi-bin directory.
bobgr
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, January 13, 2010 - 9:40 am:   

We have already Googled enabling cgi scripts in Tomcat, and we still have not had any luck following the directions.

We are happy to take the HTML and Javascript with the applet; we can modify them on our own. For now we need only to take output from a calculation program and display it. Can you supply that? We can continue to play with getting the full installation to work.
JR Schmidt

Post Number: 134
Posted on Wednesday, January 13, 2010 - 9:42 am:   

The output is dynamically generated by the CGI scripts, and is not easily used on its own. WebMO Pro contains an 'Export HTML' option for exactly the usage case that you are suggesting, although that is not implemented in the freeware version due to the complexity.

Add Your Message Here
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration