WebMO - Computational chemistry on the WWW
Recent news

WebMO 12.0 is now available for free download!

WebMO 12.0 Pro and Enterprise have a variety of additional features and is available for purchase.

WebMO can now be installed on Windows, Mac, and Unix servers!

August 17, 2019

Connection refused for pipe to qsub i... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

WebMO Support Forum » WebMO Installation » Other » Connection refused for pipe to qsub in daemon_pbs.cgi « Previous Next »

Jack Smith
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, February 06, 2012 - 11:39 pm:   

We recently switched from PBS to SGE, and I've made all the documented changes (plus a fix for $PBS_NODEFILE in the generated pbs_script.sh file), but I still get the following errors:

[Mon Feb 6 20:52:58 2012] gamess.cgi: error: commlib error: got select error (Connection refused) at daemon_pbs.cgi line 415.
error: commlib error: got select error (Connection refused)
error: unable to send message to qmaster using port 6444 on host "biggreen.local": got send error

However, I can manually execute the pbs_script.sh file with qsub just fine.

Using WebMO 10.1, Perl 5.8.8, and SGE 6.2u5, Rocks+ 6.0
JR Schmidt
Username: Schmidt

Post Number: 226
Posted on Tuesday, February 07, 2012 - 10:40 am:   

When you manually qsub the script, does the job queue and run?

The "connection refused" issue sounds like a possible firewall problem on the host. If you google the error, it comes up several times. I'm not sure this is a WebMO issue per se. Make sure SGE itself is running fine on the command line.
Jack Smith
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, February 07, 2012 - 12:07 pm:   

Yes, I can manually run (qsub) pbs_script.sh just fine - it queues up and executes successfully, from the very same directory and logged in as webmo. I was wondering if it could be an issue with Perl or Apache (httpd/CGI). I will try to run the CGI script manually to see if that has a different effect.
Jack Smith
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, February 07, 2012 - 12:37 pm:   

It turns out that I can run the run_gamess.cgi script manually just fine. Could there be a problem with the Apache (httpd) configuration that's preventing qsub from being run (or communicating with qmaster) within a CGI Perl script?
JR Schmidt

Post Number: 227
Posted on Tuesday, February 07, 2012 - 1:16 pm:   

The run_gamess.cgi script isn't the issue. The submission to SGE doesn't happen at that point.

Make sure the sge_qmaster port is set in /etc/services, as described in https://www.webmo.net/support/enterprise.html.
Jack Smith
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, February 07, 2012 - 6:57 pm:   

I realize that qsub is executed in daemon_pbs.cgi, but I needed to high enough in the CGI hierarchy to have a complete and valid job to submit (using a previously aborted job and remaking the appropriate tmp directory). Yes, the sge_qmaster port is set in /etc/services, and I had followed the instructions in the provided link. I can submit jobs manually fine, just not from the web interface.
JR Schmidt

Post Number: 228
Posted on Tuesday, February 07, 2012 - 7:41 pm:   

The only thing I can think of is that perhaps some SGE related environmental variables are defined in a login script, such that it works on the command line but not from HTTP.

Does "biggreen.local" resolve to an actual IP address? Is this the machine where SGE is running?

I have never seen this issue before with WebMO/SGE and normally no additional environmental variables are needed.

Is there anything
Jack Smith
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, February 07, 2012 - 7:53 pm:   

Yes, "biggreen.local" (also biggreen.marshall.edu) is the master node where SGE runs, and it does resolve to an IP address. I'll continue to do some exploring. I mainly wanted to make sure it wasn't something obvious from your perspective. By the way, does v12.0 fix the $PBS_NODEFILE problem in daemon_pbs.cgi for SGE? I had to co-opt it into using $pe_hostfile (or $TMPDIR/machines) for SGE.

Add Your Message Here
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration