WebMO - Computational chemistry on the WWW
Recent news

WebMO 17.0 is now available for free download!

WebMO 17.0 Pro and Enterprise have a variety of additional features and is available for purchase.

The WebMO app is now available for iOS and Android.

August 23, 2019

Google cloud computing Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

WebMO Support Forum » WebMO Installation » Other » Google cloud computing « Previous Next »

John Keller
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2014 - 9:43 pm:   

Is it possible to install WEbMO and say Gaussian on the Google Compute Engine (which runs CentOS linux)? Has anyone done this successfully? http://cloud.google.com
JR Schmidt
Username: Schmidt

Post Number: 410
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2014 - 10:29 am:   

This is a REALLY interesting idea. I will have to consider this in the future to see how this might work to create scalable WebMO installation in the cloud.
Randy Miller
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, September 16, 2016 - 3:31 pm:   

I am considering using the Google cloud computing approach with Gaussian 09 on a CentOS 7 VM. Is setting up my binary the same as the Linux binary instructions that used to be posted in the Support section?
JR Schmidt

Post Number: 525
Posted on Friday, September 16, 2016 - 3:33 pm:   

Yes, the instructions should be the same, unless there are any CentOS 7 issues with Gaussian (for example). But Google Compute should behave effectively identical to any other Centos 7 machine
Randy Miller
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, September 17, 2016 - 4:51 pm:   

Following the instructions provided i the "Support and Tutorials" section, I was able to set up the Google Cloud account, Create a new project, Create an Instance, Download sitc.tar.gz, but then I got the following command line error message when running the sitc install script

^^^^^^^^^^^^
Downloading WebMO...
Unpacking WebMO...
gzip: stdin: not in gzip format
tar: Child returned status 1
tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now
/home/rmmiller_chicochem/sitc/scripts/centos/install_webmo: line 63: /tmp/WebMO.install/setup.conf: No such file
or directory
chown: cannot access ‘WebMO.install’: No such file or directory
/home/rmmiller_chicochem/sitc/scripts/centos/install_webmo: line 75: cd: WebMO.install: No such file or director
y
Cleaning up temporary files...
chmod: cannot access ‘/home/webmo/webmo’: No such file or directory
Set up a WebMO user? [y/n]:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I did not proceed with setting up a WebMO user given the messages. Any ideas?
Randy Miller
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, September 17, 2016 - 6:46 pm:   

I get the same error message if I cd to /tmp and try

tar xzf WebMO.tar.gz

on the file directly
Randy Miller
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, September 17, 2016 - 8:54 pm:   

The WebMO.tar.gz is only 75 bytes so the script is not downloading the full file. Decided to download WebMO.15.003p.tar.gz (over 5Mb), extracted but still had challenges even when I tried to run setup.pl as during an installation on a regular linux box. should this approach work or is the sitc approach doing something critical for webmo to run on google cloud?
JR Schmidt

Post Number: 526
Posted on Monday, September 19, 2016 - 10:35 am:   

This likely indicates that one used invalid download credentials within the SITC script. The downloaded file is actually an HTML error message rather than a gzip file! It should be more robust to indicate an error.
Randy Miller
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, September 19, 2016 - 1:54 pm:   

The contents of the WebMO.tar.gz file

Invalid request
Requested version: 17.0.008p
Authorized version: 15.0.002p

I am in the process of getting campus approval to update to WebMO 17 Pro, but currently only have WebMO 15.
Randy Miller
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, September 20, 2016 - 10:30 pm:   

Is the cloud computing script only set up for version 17?

Add Your Message Here
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration