WebMO - Computational chemistry on the WWW
Recent news

WebMO 9.1 is now available for free download!

WebMO 9.1 Pro and Enterprise have a variety of additional features and is available for purchase.

WebMO can now be installed on Windows, Mac, and Unix servers!

August 23, 2019

WebMO does recognize when job is comp... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

WebMO Support Forum » Running WebMO Jobs » Job Manager » WebMO does recognize when job is complete « Previous Next »

Randy Miller
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2004 - 11:45 pm:   

We just completed a new install of RedHat 8, WebMO 4 and Gaussian 03. Everything seems to start fine, REFRESH updates the run time everytime I push it, etc, but the Job Manager never recognizes when the job is done. I can tell the job is done because when I look at the Gaussian output file, via the RAW OUTPUT button, it ends with all the appropriate language like "Normal termination of Gaussian 03...", etc. The WebMO Job Manager never shows the job as complete so I can never VIEW the results. Eventually, the Job Manager shows the job as FAILED and gives me the RAW OUTPUT and RESTART options.

Any ideas why WebMO is not properly recognizing that the Gaussian job has ended normally?
schmidt
Posted on Sunday, February 01, 2004 - 12:03 am:   

This sounds like a problem parsing the output of g03. Please send me a copy of the output file, and I will take a look.
Mark Juhasz
Posted on Sunday, February 01, 2004 - 12:22 pm:   

I have exactly the same problem using Gaussian 98. The job completes (the raw output shows normal termination), but the result is labeled as "failed" in the Job Manager.

I am interested in the solution to this. Thanks.
schmidt
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2004 - 10:54 am:   

Due to an bug in early versions of WebMO 4.0.006 ALL Gaussian jobs will fail! (One line of debugging code unintentionally made it into the bug-fix release!)

Since so few users downloaded this early bug fix release, I have corrected the problem but did not increment the version number. Simple downloaded a fresh version of 4.0.006 and run the upgrade script to correct the problem.
Randy Miller
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2004 - 11:44 am:   

It works like a champ now. Thanks for the quick fix!
schmidt
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2004 - 4:22 pm:   

For an alternative fix, open parse_gaussian.cgi, and go to the parse_gaussian_version subroutine (its the first one). Delete the line,

while (1) {}

and this should solve the problem.
Bob Gotwals
Posted on Thursday, July 28, 2005 - 6:51 pm:   

I'm having the same problem with GAMESS, and on some fairly simple runs as well....GAMESS exits, but WebMO (newest version) gives a failed message Last bit of raw output as below.

-1.830261202E+00 3.568932720E-01 1.091245191E+00
......END OF GEOMETRY SEARCH......
STEP CPU TIME = 0.00 TOTAL CPU TIME = 8.4 ( 0.1 MIN)
TOTAL WALL CLOCK TIME= 8.6 SECONDS, CPU UTILIZATION IS 96.87%
100000 WORDS OF DYNAMIC MEMORY USED
EXECUTION OF GAMESS TERMINATED NORMALLY Thu Jul 28 18:08:27 2005
DDI: 920 bytes (0.0 MB / 0 MWords) used by master data server.

----------------------------------------
CPU timing information for all processes
========================================
0: 7.996784 + 0.387941 = 8.384725
----------------------------------------
ddikick.x: exited gracefully.
schmidt
Posted on Sunday, July 31, 2005 - 1:51 pm:   

Please send me the output of the GAMESS job. It is possible that a geometry optimization is not converging, hence the job is marked as 'failed'. Whether or not the job should be marked as failed in this case is a matter of interpretation...
ravikumartiwari
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 12:27 pm:   

Hi,
I am having the same problem with Mopac..the program never stops automatically..I need to kill that but then I cannot view output file..for your reference I am also attaching the output file for that run.
application/octet-streamoutput file of a successful running program in mopac
output.out (266.8 k)
JR Schmidt
Username: Schmidt

Post Number: 35
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 9:44 am:   

The problem was that the user was using the 'Windows XP' version of MOPAC 2007, and not the 'All Windows' version.

WebMO currently requires the 'All Windows' version of MOPAC 2007, since it is fully COMMAND LINE DRIVEN, unlike the WinXP version.
Jay
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 2:29 pm:   

We had a small workshop hit our server with about 150 jobs and at one point there were up to ~80 jobs enqueued. Over the course of a several hours we started seeing the same symptoms as in the original post: g03 jobs end fine but do not get detected as completed. Before we killed the jobs there were ~30 jobs marked as running when they were actually done based on their output files. Parse_gaussian.cgi seemed ok.

We then stopped then restarted the daemon in the system manager. The failed jobs then appeared as completed.
Mima Staikova
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, October 27, 2009 - 8:25 pm:   

Hi,

I am coming back to the "failed" notification when the job actually has finished successfully. We upgraded from WebMO Pro to Enterprise last fall. I have noticed the problem before but it happened only occasionally. This semester I am running Gaussian03 calculations with a big class, using Coordinate scan options. The jobs will run for up to 15 hours clock time and will show "failed" notification when in fact the job has finished successfully. The results are in the WebMO output but it is very confusing for beginners.
JR Schmidt
Username: Schmidt

Post Number: 122
Posted on Tuesday, October 27, 2009 - 9:11 pm:   

Please send me a copy of the job output; it is likely just a parsing problem, etc.

Add Your Message Here
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration