WebMO - Computational chemistry on the WWW
Recent news

WebMO 9.0 is now available for free download!

WebMO 9.0 Pro and Enterprise have a variety of additional features and is available for purchase.

WebMO can now be installed on Windows, Mac, and Unix servers!

December 12, 2019

Network connection refused when tryin... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

WebMO Support Forum » Running WebMO Jobs » Login Screen » Network connection refused when trying to log in « Previous Next »

Anonymous
Posted on Wednesday, May 26, 2004 - 8:08 pm:   

I have just reinstalled WebMO on our linux system running RH7.2. When using it from the same computer where it is installed (and where the server runs), everything works fine. When trying to use the web interface from a different computer, login screen displays properly, but when I attempt to log in a message is displayed "Network connection refused by the server 127.0.0.1. The server may not be attempting connections or may be busy." Error log of the apache server produces the following message: "File does not exist: /var/www/html/webmo/java/javax/swing/JApplet.class"
I would really appreciate any help with this problem.
schmidt
Posted on Wednesday, May 26, 2004 - 10:44 pm:   

First off, the error in the apache error log is nothing to worry about. This is just the Java applet attempting to detect if Swing (Java 1.2) is installed.

The real problem is most likely a WebMO and or Apache setting. WebMO attempts to determine the name of the webserver (usually the hostname of the webserver, but it may be different if you are using virtual hosts) using the SERVER_NAME environmental variable set by Apache. It then uses this webserver name to create URLs in the future.

It sounds like WebMO is determining that the name your webserver is 127.0.0.1 (localhost), probably because this is what Apache is returning in the SERVER_NAME environmental variable. This causes problems when you try to access WebMO from another computer, because localhost then refers to the client rather than the server.

There are two easy ways to remedy this. Either

1) Edit the WebMO configuration file (globals.int), located in the webmo/cgi-bin interfaces subdirectory. Change the 'webserver' variable from 'autodetect' to the hostname or ip address of your webserver.

2) Or edit your Apache configuration file (/etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf) and change the option 'UseCanonicalName' to 'Off' (which seems to be the default for RH 8.0 and most other distros, but not RH 7.2 evidently).
Anonymous
Posted on Thursday, May 27, 2004 - 2:09 pm:   

Thank you very much for your help, I have changed the Apache configuration file as you have suggested and now everything is working.
rakhila
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 7:05 am:   

i installed apachce , web mo asper direction installation instruction p[age of web mo. ichecked perl and local host working properly. when i tried to loigin to administration inter face it is not working . when i am giving user name admin and blank password i couldt login can u help me please help me . rakhila.b

Add Your Message Here
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration