WebMO - Computational chemistry on the WWW
Recent news

WebMO 13.0 is now available for free download!

WebMO 13.0 Pro and Enterprise have a variety of additional features and is available for purchase.

WebMO can now build bulk, periodic (1D, 2D, 3D) materials. Periodic calculations are supported in Gaussian, PWSCF, and VASP!

August 23, 2019

DDI Kick error Mac OS 10.4 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

WebMO Support Forum » Running WebMO Jobs » Other » DDI Kick error Mac OS 10.4 « Previous Next »

Jason C. Hurlbert
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 5:51 am:   

Hello,

I've run into an interesting problem executing GAMESS jobs on my older G4 (see error below). I am sure that the problem is operating system related, but I'm a bit puzzled as to its resolution. It appears that something is missing (specifically the computer's local alias) but after editing /etc/hosts, /etc/hosts.allow, /etc/hosts.conf and using the Apple Utility (there's an oxymoron) 'Netinfo' to copy the assign the macintosh.local alias to the IP address assigned to the G4, the problem is still not resolved.

I've gotten WebMo and GAMESS running on several Linux boxes, but am stumped by this one. Command line jobs using the gms and rungms scripts supplied with GAMESS work without a hitch. I've attached the error message from the WebMO job manager below.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
Jason Hurlbert

Distributed Data Interface kickoff program.
Initiating 1 compute processes on 1 nodes to run the following command:
/Applications/gamess/gamess.Sep72006R4.x /Users/webmo/user/webmo/36/input

Error: Gethostbyname(:cpus=1) returned HOST_NOT_FOUND.
ddikick.x: Fatal error detected.
The error is most likely to be in the application, so check for
input errors, disk space, memory needs, application bugs, etc.
ddikick.x will now clean up all processes, and exit...
ddikick.x: No DDI processes to kill.
ddikick.x: Execution terminated due to error(s).
JR Schmidt
Username: Schmidt

Post Number: 5
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 9:30 am:   

Since GAMESS intrinsically sets itself up for parallel calculations, it always needs to known the hostname of the computer on which it is running. WebMO tries to pass it this hostname when it starts a calculation. In this case, it looks as if the hostname is being passed as null.

The hostname is stored in the WebMO configuration file, and is normally set during WebMO installation; however, it currently seems to be set incorrectly.

Try the following. Open up the WebMO configuration file, globals.int, located in the 'interfaces' subdirectory of the WebMO cgi-bin directory. Set the variable 'host' equal to the contents of your G4's fully qualified domain name (xxxxx.winthrop.edu). This will most likely solve the problem.
Brad Sturgeon
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 2:07 pm:   

Greetings,
I am new to WebMO. I have little UNIX background, but have been able to get WebMO Version 9.0.010 installed on my MAC Pro (2x2.66 GHz dual-core Intel Xenon/2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM) and both MOPAC 7 and Guassian 03 running. I have however failed to get GAMESS (Jan 122009R1) running. I had an issue with my "HOSTNAME" but the above email helped me get thru this by editing the "globals.int" file (i changed the IP name for the machine after installing WebMO). I have learned how to run gamess outside of WebMO and i still receive the following error:
/Applications/chemistry/gamess/gamess.00.x /Users/besturgeon/webmo/bes/74/input

ddikick.x error: execvp failed in Kickoff_Local.
Error: execvp(/Applications/chemistry/gamess/gamess.00.x,args) failed (errno=unknown).
Error: execvp(/Applications/chemistry/gamess/gamess.00.x,args) failed (errno=unknown).
ddikick.x: Timed out while waiting for DDI processes to check in.
ddikick.x: Sending kill signal to DDI processes.
I have entered the command:
/Applications/chemistry/gamess/gamess.00.x /Users/besturgeon/webmo/bes/74/input
and i get the same error, so it has nothing to do with WebMO...i think.

I have also run the program under the root user with the same result, so this should not be a permissions problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated...
Brad
Craig
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, July 22, 2009 - 12:24 pm:   

I have the same problem as Brad trying to run GAMESS Jan122009R3 on a MacBook with OS X 10.4
JR Schmidt

Post Number: 109
Posted on Wednesday, July 22, 2009 - 12:46 pm:   

Make sure you have set the GAMESS version correctly in the WebMO 'Interface Manager'. Just set the version to "2009" and it should hopefully solve your problem.
Pete Smith
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, September 18, 2010 - 11:33 pm:   

Hello,
I am experiencing the same problem using WebMO 8.0.009p
I have edited the global.int file so that host="webmo.chem.westminster.edu" and I have put the gamess version as 2010 in the Interface Manager. All gamess jobs still fail.

The raw output is:
c:/WinGAMESS/gamess.10.exe input
Error: execvp(c:/WinGAMESS/gamess.10.exe,args) failed (errno=unknown).
ddikick.x: Timed out while waiting for DDI processes to check in.
DDI Process 0: terminated upon request.
ddikick.x: Sending kill signal to DDI processes.

Is there an easy resolution?
Regards,
Pete
JR Schmidt

Post Number: 162
Posted on Sunday, September 19, 2010 - 6:50 pm:   

The DDI interface (used by GAMESS to enable parallel jobs, but also necessary for serial jobs) changed recently. WebMO 10 supports the newer version of GAMESS.

If you download WebMO 10 (even the 'free' version) the changes to the cgi-bin/run_gamess.cgi (or in your case, cgi-bin/win32/run_gamess.cgi) should be straightforward.
Anonymous

Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2012 - 8:57 pm:   

I encountered the same problem running ddikick.x on a 16 cpu smp Sun X4600. The version of gamess I am using is a very recent 2012 release. I searched around the internet looking for a solution to my ddikick.x could not kick off programs in parallel. There was almost zero useful information. So in the spirit of cooperation I am going to share with everyone how I resolved it. It is really the most silly of reasons. All I had to was make sure that ddikick.x was in the PATH environment variable of the shell. Apparently the code calls itself and it is not smart enough to look in the directory you are running the application. You can do several things. You can append the <gamess_path>/ where ddikick.x resides into your PATH environment setting and then export it. Or you could create a symbolic link to ddikick.x from somewhere like /usr/local/bin or other path already in your search path. Once I did this I could sucessfully run the gamess test code in parallel.

Add Your Message Here
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration