WebMO - Computational chemistry on the WWW
Recent news

WebMO 17.0 is now available for free download!

WebMO 17.0 Pro and Enterprise have a variety of additional features and is available for purchase.

The WebMO app is now available for iOS and Android.

August 17, 2019

Issues with firefox/javascript Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

WebMO Support Forum » Running WebMO Jobs » Build Molecule » Issues with firefox/javascript « Previous Next »

Miguel Ortiz-Lombardia
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 9:58 am:   

Hello,

I'm running WebMO on a GNU/Linux (Ubuntu 6.0.6) machine and interacting with it using:

Firefox 1.5.0.10
Java(TM) Plug-in Blackdown-1.4.2-02 (from Sun)

My problem is that many buttons don't work. For example: in Build Molecule "Open Editor" has no effect. But "Import Molecule" does open a dialogue, though the molecule is not imported actually.

I have managed to open the editor from the link at the left side, but I have not been able to reproduce it.

The behaviour observed is the same when I use your Demo Server.

Is there a way to solve these problems?

Thanking you in advance,

Miguel
Miguel Ortiz-Lombardía
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 2:44 am:   

Hi again,

Thanks to JR Schmidt, I found out what the problem was:

It seems that the Blackdown Java Plug-in is not useful for the complex javascript-to-java communication that WebMO needs. So, in my case, removing Blackdown Java and replacing it by the "official" Sun Java (also available via apt-get in Ubuntu) solved the problem. I have done some testing and so far I haven't found any problem.

Cheers,

Miguel
Ekram Hossain
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, April 19, 2012 - 11:45 am:   

I have the same problem now. I am on mac OSX 10.5 and using Firefox 12. My java is up-to-date. How to solve this? Any suggestion?
JR Schmidt
Username: Schmidt

Post Number: 247
Posted on Thursday, April 19, 2012 - 11:57 am:   

Does the Java applet show up? Please describe the problem in detail.

Note that it appear that Firefox is blocking the Java plugin on some version of OS X (10.5 and below) for security reasons (since Apple is no longer providing security updates). See: http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/Mozilla-blocklists-Java-on-older-Mac-OS-X-systems-1542769.html

It appears this block can be overridden.

But more details on what you are observing would be helpful. I can try this out on my 10.5 machine tonight.
JR Schmidt

Post Number: 248
Posted on Thursday, April 19, 2012 - 7:48 pm:   

Firefox 12 is currently a developer release, not for public consumption.

Everything works fine with Firefox 11 / OS X 10.5. I would suggest that until an official release.
Paul Siders
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, July 13, 2016 - 3:53 pm:   

I cannot see the molecule in the "Build Molecule" window. This from www.webmo.net demo server.
Operating system: Windows 10.
Browsers: Firefox 47 64-bit [message in window says "a plugin is needed to display this content"], also Microsoft Edge [no error message], and Google Chrome 51.0 64-bit (no error message). In Chrome "allow all sites to run JavaScript" is checked." I did not find java settings in Firefox and in Edge.

Have other people found and solved this problem?

I have no problem seeing and working with the Molecule Builder when using Firefox 47 under the Fedora 24 OS. However, the students in my class will use mainly Windows.

Thank you.
JR Schmidt

Post Number: 511
Posted on Wednesday, July 13, 2016 - 6:03 pm:   

Paul,

Make sure the Java plugin is installed. This will work with Firefox. Note that Edge and Chrome no longer support ANY plugins (including Java).

Also note that WebMO 17 will be released in the near future (in time for the fall semester) and is completely JAVA-FREE -- it will run on all modern browsers with absolutely no plugins/java required.
John Keller
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, July 21, 2016 - 11:49 pm:   

What will be the academic price for v 17, Pro?
JR Schmidt

Post Number: 512
Posted on Friday, July 22, 2016 - 11:34 am:   

We anticpate that ugprade pricing will remain unchanged.
Matt Barclay
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, September 02, 2016 - 2:46 pm:   

So the new WebMO 17 is out, and I've got it more or less working (on a couple computers), but for some reason Firefox continues to have issues displaying the now-HTML5 software?

One of the places I've installed WebMO 17 is on a Mac, where [in Firefox] the visualization of the molecules sometimes comes in grainy/choppy, but otherwise visible. The Import Job, however, produces no dialogue.

Versus on my PC, where Firefox doesn't even display the molecule.
[it still opens the visualization interface with all tabs and pointer tools, there's just no visible molecule to use them on]

Chrome works just fine.

Is anyone else having these problems?
Would anyone happen to know how to solve them?

Thanks,
~Matt
JR Schmidt

Post Number: 523
Posted on Friday, September 02, 2016 - 4:03 pm:   

Clear your browser cache (or do a "hard" reload of the page). It is using older version of the javascript, most likely.

While all browsers work fine, Chrome gives the best performance since its Javascript engine is EXTREMELY fast.
Bobby Fuchs
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, March 22, 2017 - 10:54 pm:   

I have the most up to date version of java but WebMo will still not display the molecule I am working with. This is for both Firefox and chrome for me
JR Schmidt

Post Number: 553
Posted on Thursday, March 23, 2017 - 6:15 am:   

You need to upgrade webmo. Java plugins are not supported by modern browsers.

Add Your Message Here
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration