WebMO - Computational chemistry on the WWW
Recent news

WebMO 10.1 is now available for free download!

WebMO 10.1 Pro and Enterprise have a variety of additional features and is available for purchase.

WebMO can now be installed on Windows, Mac, and Unix servers!

August 23, 2019

Job Queue fills up, but never executes. Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

WebMO Support Forum » Running WebMO Jobs » Job Manager » Job Queue fills up, but never executes. « Previous Next »

Robin Abel
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, October 13, 2010 - 8:40 pm:   

I have been a faithful user of the free version since my University showed me how great WebMO is (can't afford Enterprise just yet). ;)

However, I have just upgraded to Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate, and after re-installing everything, I have found that WebMO looks great, but never executes any queued jobs.

The Daemon is "off" which I understand is normal when the queue is empty, but it remains "off" even with jobs in the queue, and any attempt to start the daemon manually does nothing. Finally, running the perl script for diagnosing (diagnose.pl), but it always returns a series of command "not recognized" errors, followed by a final error...

"The getpwuid function is unimplemented at C:\PROGRA~2\APACHE~1\Apache2.2\cgi-bin\webmo\diagnose.pl line 329."

Any help would be tremendously appreciated, as I am anxious to get back to using this excellent software!

System: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
4.00GB OCZ Platinum DDR6400
Windows 7 Ultimate, 64-bit
Packages PCGAMESS, WinGAMESS and TINKER
JR Schmidt
Username: Schmidt

Post Number: 166
Posted on Thursday, October 14, 2010 - 10:18 am:   

Two things:

1) The diagnose script actually doesn't work for Windows. There should be a check for this, but there isn't.
2) I have had several people report issues with 64-bit Windows 7, and I have a feeling there is a general compatibility issue. I believe I know the problem, and I have access to a 64-bit windows system, but this may take some time to debug. Look for updates in the near future.
Robin Abel
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, October 14, 2010 - 6:18 pm:   

Thanks for your very prompt reply...

As it turns out, I also have a Linux 64-bit distro (gnome-based) installed, and access to Win 7, 32-bit Ultimate. It would take some doing, but since you've been so helpful for support {let alone providing this software to starving students & scientists ;)} I'd be happy to help in any way I can.

Please let me know!
Robin

(Incidentally, I have the 64-bit Apache installed, but 32-bit versions {ie. c:\program files (x86)\...} for everything else. Could the new OS permission handling in Win 7 be responsible for this? I'd be happy to mess around with permissions and other versions of Apache as well if it could help).
JR Schmidt
Username: Schmidt

Post Number: 169
Posted on Saturday, December 04, 2010 - 11:06 am:   

Sorry for the long delay in replying again, but I wanted to follow up on your support forum post RE WebMO and Windows 7 64 bit.

Basically, I cannot reproduce the problem. I have a 64-bit Win7 machine, and everything worked fine with 64-bit apache, 32 OR 64 bit Perl (tried both). I did a fresh install of WebMO on this fresh machine (assuming you did a fresh install as well), and the jobs ran fine as expected.

The only possible issue is that I was using Active State Perl 5.10, NOT 5.8 (which I recommend on our website). I didn't try 5.8, and maybe there are some Win7 incompatibilities there. What version where you using? (I used to recommend 5.8, as early builds of 5.10 from active state had a nasty bug, which I don't recall; but it seems to be gone!).

Add Your Message Here
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration