WebMO - Computational chemistry on the WWW
Recent news

WebMO 18.1 is now available for free download!

WebMO 18.1 Pro and Enterprise have a variety of additional features and is available for purchase.

The WebMO app is now available for iOS and Android.

Signup for WebMO workshops this summer 2018

December 12, 2019

Viewing beta spin orbitals Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

WebMO Support Forum » Running WebMO Jobs » View Molecular Orbitals » Viewing beta spin orbitals « Previous Next »

Matthew Kennedy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, November 19, 2010 - 9:28 am:   

I am running a calculation on a triplet molecule where we're interested in seeing the excited state transitions to see if we can decipher where the electron density is moving to/from. The system has 186 electrons (94 alpha spin, 92 beta spin). The transitions of interest (the strongest ones) are both doubly occupied orbital --> singly occupied orbital transitions.

Since we are having this doubly occupied to singly occupied transitions, the transitions should be involving a beta spin electron and a beta spin virtual, as to preserve spin. When I look at the molecular orbitals in the viewer they all have occupancy of 1 and there are 94 occupied, so I know I am viewing the alpha spin electrons....but as I just said, I'm actually interested in the beta spin electrons. Anyone know a way to view the beta spin orbitals?

Edit: I'm working with QChem as my computational engine
JR Schmidt
Username: Schmidt

Post Number: 168
Posted on Friday, November 19, 2010 - 10:08 am:   

For UHF/ROHF calculations, the orbitals are ordered in a strange way: the beta spin orbitals are located after ALL the alpha spin orbital -- including the virtual (unoccupied) alpha orbitals. Keep looking, and you should find them later in the list.
Matthew Kennedy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, November 19, 2010 - 2:27 pm:   

Thanks JR! I appreciate the quick and very informative response!
Andrew Rappe
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2018 - 5:03 pm:   

I am finding the problem that Matthew reported, but the solution posted by JR doesn't seem to work for me. Using Version: 17.0.010e if I run UHF / B3LYP / triplet / 6-31G* I do not see the beta orbitals in the list. Triplet O atom has 15 alpha and 15 beta orbitals in GAMESS, but Webmo only shows the 15 alpha.
JR Schmidt
Username: Schmidt

Post Number: 624
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2018 - 1:54 pm:   

This was an issue with the GAMESS parsing, specifically. I am just finalizing testing for this patch.

Add Your Message Here
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration