WebMO - Computational chemistry on the WWW
Recent news

WebMO 12.0 is now available for free download!

WebMO 12.0 Pro and Enterprise have a variety of additional features and is available for purchase.

WebMO can now be installed on Windows, Mac, and Unix servers!

December 12, 2019

Triplet calculations Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

WebMO Support Forum » Running WebMO Jobs » Build Molecule » Triplet calculations « Previous Next »

Leigh_H
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, November 29, 2011 - 5:34 am:   

Hi, we have recently built a server hosting Webmo with GAMESS and MOPAC2009 for our educational institution. We have received reports saying that when they carry out a 'triplet' calculation it either fails or produces an error or strange looking structure. The singlet calculations are all correct. Does anybody have an idea what could be causing this please? I have attached a successful output log which was reported as being incorrect results. Thank you.
application/octet-streamOutput.log
output.log (175.3 k)
JR Schmidt
Username: Schmidt

Post Number: 211
Posted on Tuesday, November 29, 2011 - 10:17 am:   

The ground state of methane is NOT a triplet, it is a singlet. The triplet corresponds to some excited state. Thus the geometry will look "strange". There is no fundamental problem.
Leigh_H
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, November 29, 2011 - 10:42 am:   

Thank you once again Schmidt, it was our Chemistry department that reported the fault but I do not know enough about it to argue the findings with them. I will let them know the problem lies with them, all the best, Leigh.
Nat_G
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, November 29, 2011 - 12:00 pm:   

Hi, as the person who made the inital error with regards to methane, can I please add to the information surrounding this problem, as initally described by Leigh_H ? For structures such as methane, a 'strange' geometry IS expected. However an error is occuring even when calculating other structures that can usually be described with a triplet state, such as H2(g). Within our system, a MOPAC/PM3 calculation of H2 (singlet) can be calculated, but a H2 (triplet) calculation produces the following error message: "SPECIFIED SPIN COMPONENT NOT SPANNED BY ACTIVE SPACE".
The corresponding GAMESS/PM3 (UHF) or GAMESS/HF (UHF) calculations give the following error message: "ERROR *** ATTEMPTING A BOGUS READ OF A DAF RECORD.RECORD NUMBER 256 OF LENGTH 2 WAS NEVER PREVIOUSLY WRITTEN. THIS ERROR IS LIKELY TO BE A BUG IN THE PROGRAM, BUT PLEASE CONSIDER INPUT ERRORS AS A POSSIBLE CAUSE, TOO"
Can anyone tell me if I am making another mistake within the input? Thanks.
JR Schmidt

Post Number: 212
Posted on Tuesday, November 29, 2011 - 2:40 pm:   

The MOPAC issue appears to be a MOPAC bug, probably because H2 triplet contains zero beta spin electrons (a strange case).

GAMESS/ROHF and GAMESS/UHF calculations on H2 tripelt work perfectly in my testing (using the default input file generated by WebMO). Perhaps your local version of GAMESS contains a bug?
Leigh_H
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, November 30, 2011 - 6:01 am:   

Could you please tell me if there are logs we can examine to determine where these bugs could be within the system? Many thanks.
JR Schmidt

Post Number: 216
Posted on Wednesday, November 30, 2011 - 10:20 am:   

These are almost certainly not WebMO bugs. If you send me the exact input file that exhibits the error, I can confirm that. The GAMESS output file should contain all the relevant information.

Add Your Message Here
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration