WebMO - Computational chemistry on the WWW
Recent news

WebMO 12.0 is now available for free download!

WebMO 12.0 Pro and Enterprise have a variety of additional features and is available for purchase.

WebMO can now be installed on Windows, Mac, and Unix servers!

August 24, 2019

Jobs failing immediately using GAMESS Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

WebMO Support Forum » Running WebMO Jobs » View Results » Jobs failing immediately using GAMESS « Previous Next »

James Baglini Jr
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, November 29, 2011 - 12:08 pm:   

I recently downloaded Webmo and Gamess.32 for use in studying simple molecules, and I believe I have setup the programs appropriately, but I can not get any jobs to succeed. I create a CO2 molecule, and use Cartesian Coordinates, and try to perform a Geometry Optmization but it simply fails after 4-5 seconds. I have attached the raw output.
text/plainGeometry Optimization for CO2
Raw Output Geo Opt for CO2.txt (6.6 k)
JR Schmidt
Username: Schmidt

Post Number: 213
Posted on Tuesday, November 29, 2011 - 2:48 pm:   

The Windows version of GAMESS requires you to install MPIEXEC. See the GAMESS-32 setup guide:

http://www.msg.chem.iastate.edu/~sarom/WinGAMESS-setup-guide-32.pdf
James Baglini Jr
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, November 29, 2011 - 6:05 pm:   

That's the heart of the problem... I have downloaded MPIEXEC as shown in the setup guide, and I still get this error. I have gone into my System -> Advanced Settings -> Environmental Variables and have seeen that it shows a path to where the mpiexec file is located. Yet somehow I am still getting the error. Any ideas?
JR Schmidt

Post Number: 214
Posted on Tuesday, November 29, 2011 - 6:08 pm:   

You may need to hard-code the path to mpiexec into the rungms.bat command (in the GAMESS.32 directory). This was not required in my testing, but it should do the trick.
James Baglini Jr
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, November 29, 2011 - 6:43 pm:   

That makes sense, but how would I go about actually doing that (sorry for my lack of code manipulating skills)?
JR Schmidt

Post Number: 215
Posted on Tuesday, November 29, 2011 - 6:51 pm:   

Before you do anything else, open up an command prompt and type "mpiexec". You should see some output from mpiexec. If not, then mpiexec is not installed correctly / in the path. Note that nothing else was required in my testing to make GAMESS work with WebMO.

If that DOES work, then you could try the following. There should be a DOS batch file (rungms.bat) in c:\gamess.32. You may need to changes the lines containing "mpiexec" (no quotes) to something like "C:\Program Files\Microsoft HPC Pack 2008 SDK\Bin\mpiexec" (quotes required!)
James Baglini Jr
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, November 29, 2011 - 7:39 pm:   

Success! Thanks for all the help in ending this nightmare.

Add Your Message Here
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration