WebMO - Computational chemistry on the WWW
Recent news

WebMO 13.0 is now available for free download!

WebMO 13.0 Pro and Enterprise have a variety of additional features and is available for purchase.

WebMO can now build bulk, periodic (1D, 2D, 3D) materials. Periodic calculations are supported in Gaussian, PWSCF, and VASP!

August 23, 2019

Linux browsers problem Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

WebMO Support Forum » Running WebMO Jobs » View Results » Linux browsers problem « Previous Next »

John Keller
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, March 12, 2013 - 3:53 am:   

Both my browsers (Chrome v 24 and Firefox ESR with IcedTea-Web updated in CentOS-6.3-x86_64) stop working when I click View Job. After I restart, I can build a molecule, and submit job, but I cannot look at them when they're done. Chrome claims it is running out of memory, but I have 4 GB and System Monitor shows only 20% used. Any suggestions? This is WebMO 12.1 - upgrade to WebMO 13?
JR Schmidt
Username: Schmidt

Post Number: 343
Posted on Tuesday, March 12, 2013 - 10:24 am:   

Is this with ALL jobs, or just a particular job?

I presume this is a new phenomenon. Have you made any recent OS or Java updates?

Does the demo server work?
John Keller
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, March 13, 2013 - 1:17 am:   

ALL jobs, WebMO 12 or 13.
I have installed:
icedtea-web-1.2.2-3.el6 (x86_64) and
java-1.7.0-openjdk-1:1.7.0.9-2.3.8.0.el6_4 (x86_64).
These are suggested when I run "yum install icedtea-web" on my CentOS 6.3 system.
Do you have a RedHat system with this icedtea-web version?
JR Schmidt

Post Number: 344
Posted on Wednesday, March 13, 2013 - 8:40 am:   

Please use the official oracle java distribution. This is the true and supported java.
John Keller
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, March 14, 2013 - 5:21 am:   

OK, that works! However, it's not obvious how to do this so I will briefly describe what I did to install Java and 64-bit MarvinSketch. (This will be of interest to chemists who may wish to set up their own 64-bit Linux systems and have them run various open-source applications like WebMO client, MarvinSketch and others.) Anyway, I am running CentOS-6.3-x86_64 in a VMware virtual machine (4 processors, 4 GB memory, 20 GB of HD space).
Go to http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/index.html, and under Java Platform, Standard Edition, you can read the installation instructions and download jre-7u17-linux-x64.rpm . For CentOS, RedHat SUSE as su, then do
# rpm -ivh jre-7u17-linux-x64.rpm
Java will be installed in /usr/java directory.
By default, CentOS installs Firefox ESR 10.0.5 in the /usr/lib64/firefox folder, and the plugins in /usr/lib64/mozilla. According to the mozilla website, for the java plugin to work in firefox, you need to place a symbolic link to java in the mozilla plugins folder, like this:
# ln -s /usr/java/jre1.7.0_17/lib/amd64/libnpjp2.so /usr/lib64/mozilla/plugins/libnpjp2.so
(This follows the linux syntax of "ln -s [source] [target]". Use the full pathnames.)
Downloading and installing the linux-64-bit version of marvinbeans (marvinbeans-5.11.5-linux.sh) from www.chemaxon.com per the instructions does not break WebMO client operation. Do not install the marvinbeans version that includes java - java is already installed.
JR Schmidt

Post Number: 345
Posted on Thursday, March 14, 2013 - 7:59 am:   

Thanks! I should have pointed out that similar instructions are also in the support pages.

Add Your Message Here
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration