WebMO - Computational chemistry on the WWW
Recent news

WebMO 15.0 is now available for free download!

WebMO 15.0 Pro and Enterprise have a variety of additional features and is available for purchase.

The WebMO app for iPad/iPhone is now available on the App Store.

May 25, 2019

Java update 65 breaks MO viewing Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

WebMO Support Forum » Running WebMO Jobs » View Molecular Orbitals » Java update 65 breaks MO viewing « Previous Next »

John Keller
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, July 17, 2014 - 6:59 pm:   

After installing update 65 for Java (Win 7 64 bit, IE 11 and Firefox 30), the Molecular Orbital view Javascript does not run. IE freezes completely. I have the same security settings as I did in Java 1.7, update 55, where the MO viewer worked. The Editor, and vibration animation are working w update 65. Probably related to this, various scripted Jmol web pages do not work now, either.
JR Schmidt
Username: Schmidt

Post Number: 404
Posted on Thursday, July 17, 2014 - 9:52 pm:   

John,

I cannot reproduce this on the exact same platform (Java 1.7u65, Win7 64 bit, IE or Chrome). If you have access to a 2nd machine, I would try that first.

Also note that it appears that you get a Java security prompt when running WebMO (or any signed applet) the FIRST time you run it after every Java update (just once). But this update can appear UNDER the browser window or other odd locations. (Poor design by Oracle.) This can seem to freeze the page until you locate the window and click Allow. Perhaps this is the problem?
John Keller
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, July 18, 2014 - 4:35 am:   

Yes, you are correct: all work on my home systems (Java 1.7u65, Win7 64 bit, IE 11, Chrome 36, and Firefox 30) with the same Java security settings. I will post when I figure out what is up with the machines in the lab.
John Keller
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, July 19, 2014 - 12:56 am:   

Correction: it is Win *8* 64-bit machines that can view MOs with Java 1.7u65. Win *7* 64-bit machines, several of them with fresh installs of Java 1.7u65 and identical security settings, cannot. All have fully updated OSs and IE 11, Chrome 36, or Firefox 30. No pop-under windows are visible.
JR Schmidt

Post Number: 405
Posted on Saturday, July 19, 2014 - 1:14 pm:   

Odd. I just verified no issues on two separate fully update Win 7 64 bit machines, both running the most up to date Java (1.7u65). Nothing unusual.

Please try two things:
1) Try this on our demo server at www.webmo.net
2) Try clearing the java cache from the Java control panel.
John Keller
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2014 - 1:06 am:   

Neither of these approaches solves the problem for Win 7/64-bit. BTW, Win 7/32-bit machines run Java scripted webpages OK with Java 7u65.
Others have seen this: see
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/24792360/issues-with-java-7u65
Have you really tested Jmol webpages and WebMO MO visualization on your Win 7 64-bit/ Java 7u65 systems?
John Keller
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, July 26, 2014 - 2:21 am:   

See also https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8051013
This site reveals the existence of a folder that may contain a history of previous Java installations (c:/Users/John/AppData/Locallow/Sun/Java) and these may interfere with proper installation of Java 7u65 on Win 64-bit systems. The cure?
1. Uninstall Java from the Control Panel.
2. Delete the above folder (.../Java).
3. Reinstall Java 7u65.
NOW WebMO MO viewer and Jmol pages with scripts both work.
JR Schmidt

Post Number: 408
Posted on Monday, July 28, 2014 - 10:12 am:   

An simpler solution is also available. Go to the following URL and run the associated applet, which is able to resolve the installation issue:

http://mq-qa2.esignal.com/test_applet.html

click the 'Check Deployment Properties' button to resolve any Java installation issues.
John Keller
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, April 16, 2015 - 4:34 pm:   

A Chrome update seems to cause problems running the Java plug-in. I followed the advice at this website, and now it works again; (Win 8.1/64; Chrome 42.0.02311.90 m; Java 8 u 45 (the latest))

http://www.ghacks.net/2015/04/15/chrome-42-blocks-java-silverlight-other-plugins-by-default-now/

Add Your Message Here
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration