WebMO - Computational chemistry on the WWW
Recent news

WebMO 14.0 is now available for free download!

WebMO 14.0 Pro and Enterprise have a variety of additional features and is available for purchase.

The WebMO app for iPad/iPhone is now available on the App Store.

May 25, 2019

Gaussian Single Occupancy of MOs Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

WebMO Support Forum » Running WebMO Jobs » View Molecular Orbitals » Gaussian Single Occupancy of MOs « Previous Next »

Cody Fagan
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2014 - 11:37 am:   

When I attempt to run a MO calculation with the gaussian engine, I consistently get single occupancy in each MO no matter what the basis set/ theory used. Any known sources of this issue or fixes ?
Running webmo 14.006p on safari 7.0.6 Screenshot
JR Schmidt
Username: Schmidt

Post Number: 412
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2014 - 11:41 am:   

This is probably NOT a bug. Rather, you are probably running a molecule that is not a singlet (odd number of electrons, etc.) In that case the calculation runs with an "unrestricted" reference, giving different sets of alpha/beta spin orbitals, each singly occupied.
Cody Fagan
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2014 - 1:47 pm:   

I am still experiencing the same issue even when changing the multiplicity. I get a non answer for odd multiplicity (which makes sense) I am attempting to run it on a transition metal [Cu(Cl6)]4- would that add to any issues ?

*this is my first computational project so I am learning as I go, and and all advice is extremely appreciated*
JR Schmidt
Username: Schmidt

Post Number: 413
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2014 - 2:04 pm:   

Your complex has an odd number of electrons. It CANNOT be a singlet. This is not a bug. I would recommend "Introduction to Computational Chemistry" by Jensen for a simple primer.
Cody Fagan
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2014 - 2:23 pm:   

It was set to a doublet when I noticed the single occupancy, I was not attempted it as a singlet which you keep referencing to. The single occupancy still occurs for any even multiplicity I set it too.

Add Your Message Here
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration