WebMO - Computational chemistry on the WWW
Recent news

WebMO 19.0 is now available for free download!

WebMO 19.0 Pro and Enterprise have a variety of additional features and is available for purchase.

The WebMO app is now available for iOS and Android.

August 23, 2019

Ssh vs rsh Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

WebMO Support Forum » Administering WebMO » Remote Server Manager (Pro) » Ssh vs rsh « Previous Next »

kevin dunn
Posted on Thursday, July 17, 2003 - 1:21 am:   

I am installing a RedHat 9 system as a remote server. I got g98 working in no time but I have spent hours trying to get either rsh or ssh to work. I gave up on rsh after two hours since RedHat seems hell-bent against rsh. I have ssh working to the point that I can login as apache on the local system and ssh to the remote server without using a password. The remote server manager, however, still insists that ssh and scp have not been installed. What else must I do?
schmidt
Posted on Thursday, July 17, 2003 - 9:56 am:   

The problem is probably that the install script did not successfully locate ssh/scp on your system when you installed. To resolve this problem, simply edit the globals.int configuration file in the webmo/cgi-bin/interfaces directory. Edit the fields sshPath and scpPath to the full path to these commands. For example,

sshPath="/usr/bin/ssh"
scpPath="/usr/bin/scp"

and, if necessary, edit the sshOptions and scpOptions field to the correct values needed for passwordless logins on the system as you have things configured. (Use whatever command line arguments you used during your testing of ssh/scp).

To address the second part of your question, rsh should work fine on RedHat 9. First, you have to enable the rsh service by editing the /etc/xinitd.d/rsh file. Change the file disable = yes to disable = no. Then restart xinetd with
# /etc/rc.d/init.d/xinetd restart
If you have a firewall, make sure you allow access to the remote machine from the webserver (and DISABLE access from everyone else!) Then go about setting up access through rsh as described in the help in the remote server manager.

Add Your Message Here
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration