WebMO - Computational chemistry on the WWW
Recent news

WebMO 19.0 is now available for free download!

WebMO 19.0 Pro and Enterprise have a variety of additional features and is available for purchase.

The WebMO app is now available for iOS and Android.

December 12, 2019

Cannot add remote server Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

WebMO Support Forum » Administering WebMO » Remote Server Manager (Pro) » Cannot add remote server « Previous Next »

Eric Patterson
Posted on Monday, November 22, 2004 - 5:21 pm:   

It seems that no matter what I try, I cannot add a remote server. I have rsh enabled, and it works perfectly from the command line. The only error I get is "Error adding remote server". Is there a way to make this error more informative? Since command line rsh works, I wonder if the error is elsewhere.

Details:
WebMO Pro 4.1.003
Served from PowerMac G4, OS 10.3.6
Clients are all PowerMac G5s, OS 10.3.6
WebMO installed under user "webmo", run as user "www"
User webmo exists on all remote machines
User space is NFS mounted across all machines
rsh enabled and tested to work
schmidt
Posted on Monday, November 22, 2004 - 7:59 pm:   

There may be a more informative error message in the 'errors' file located in the WebMO user directory. However, I would also recommend checking the system logs on the remote computer for possible rsh-related errors.

Note that the user 'www' must be able to rsh to the appropriate remote account without a password. Thus .rhosts files (and appropriate security!) must be setup, as document in the help pages.

FYI, the user space does not need to be NFS mounted for remote servers via rsh or ssh (just for PBS or NQS).

Let me know if this doesn't solve your problem, and I would be happy to work with you directly.
Frank Bures
Posted on Wednesday, August 10, 2005 - 1:51 pm:   

I have a similar problem with SSH.
My httpd is running as 'apache', with no shell therefore I cannot create a key for it and thus enable it to SSH to the remote server. What are my options short of running httpd under a different UID/GID or enabling loging shell for apache?

Thanks
schmidt
Posted on Wednesday, August 10, 2005 - 2:02 pm:   

If you want to use remote servers with SSH, you have two options:

1) Install WebMO under a 'user' account. For example, install it under ~webmo/cgi-bin/... rather than at the system wide level. Then, assuming that you are running Apache with suEXEC enabled (this is the default with most linux distros, but not with Mac OS X), the WebMO scripts will run under the uid of user 'webmo'!

In my opinion, this is the easiest and best solution.

2) Install cgi-wrap, which does the same thing as suexec. In my opinion, this is a rather outdated solution (given suexec), and harder to configure.
Frank Bures
Posted on Wednesday, August 10, 2005 - 2:12 pm:   

OK, I've enabled SSH access to the remote server's user 'webmo' from user 'apache' on WebMO server.
I have also enabled SSH access for user 'webmo' to the remote server.
However, when I try to add the remote server I get "Could not find remote Perl installation".
I checked 'globals.int' and the perl binary is where its supposed to be.
As user 'apache' on WebMO server I can do
'ssh -l webmo remote.server.edu' without problems.
What gives?
Eric Bittner
Posted on Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 5:22 pm:   

Right, what gives? I'm stuck at the same place. It seems to me that
since 99% of the world prefers ssh over the less secure rsh, more details for getting this to work under ssh should be provided.

Add Your Message Here
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration