WebMO - Computational chemistry on the WWW
Recent news

WebMO 19.0 is now available for free download!

WebMO 19.0 Pro and Enterprise have a variety of additional features and is available for purchase.

The WebMO app is now available for iOS and Android.

August 24, 2019

Windows Remote Server is possible? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

WebMO Support Forum » Administering WebMO » Remote Server Manager (Pro) » Windows Remote Server is possible? « Previous Next »

Ihosvany Camps
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 10:01 am:   

Hi,

I would like to know if it is possible to setup a Windows XP Pro machine (which some codes already installed) as a Remote Server to be used with WebMO Pro.

Regards,

Camps
JR Schmidt
Username: Schmidt

Post Number: 81
Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 10:16 am:   

Unfortunately this is NOT possible, mainly because Windows does not easily support running and SSH server.

You can run WebMO locally on Windows XP/Vista, and also access Linux/Unix/OS X remote server FROM Windows-based WebMO, but not the other way.
Ihosvany Camps
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, March 06, 2009 - 11:37 am:   

Hi,

As I wrote in my message, I have WebMO Pro installed in a Windows box.

Now, when I tried to setup a remote server in a Linux machine I get the following messages:

"Commands ssh and scp must be installed"

What is that?

I follow the instruction to setup the remote servers and can ssh to my Linux machine without problem.

Regards,

Camps
JR Schmidt

Post Number: 82
Posted on Friday, March 06, 2009 - 11:44 am:   

Make sure to follow the instructions listed:
https://www.webmo.net/support/pro.html

In particular, you need to install the PuTTY ssh/scp client on your Windows machine.

You may need also to update the path to ssh and scp into the WebMO configuration files, globals.int. This is located in the Apache cgi-bin/interfaces directory.

The default path to PuTTY ssh and scp are hard-coded in there, but they may need to be updated if you installed PuTTY into a non-standard location, or if they changed the default install path.
Ihosvany Camps
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 3:35 pm:   

Hi,

I setup up WebMO Pro in a Linux box (running Ubuntu). I can ssh to the remote server without entering any password (running CentOS 5).

I defined a user webmo in both linux boxes.

Now, when I try to add the remote server (CentOS) I am getting the following error:

"Could not contact remote server: verify passwordless SSH/RSH"

Should I do/modify any other thing/file?

Regards,

Camps
JR Schmidt

Post Number: 84
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 3:46 pm:   

As outlined:
https://www.webmo.net/support/pro.html
please note that
* the WebMO application must be installed in a user's home directory, e.g., /home/webmo/public_html
* suexec must be enabled

Assuming this is true, then you need to be able to go to the command line, login as user 'webmo' (or what user you installed WebMO as, into the corresponding home directory) and type:
ssh -l webmo compute.domain.edu
without entering a password. Note that SSH distinguishes between the fully qualified (compute.domain.edu) and short name (compute).

You might also check your SSHD logs on the compute server, to check what is happening.

Add Your Message Here
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration