WebMO - Computational chemistry on the WWW
Recent news

WebMO 9.1 is now available for free download!

WebMO 9.1 Pro and Enterprise have a variety of additional features and is available for purchase.

WebMO can now be installed on Windows, Mac, and Unix servers!

April 22, 2018

TCP connect error: ECONNREFUSED when ... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

WebMO Support Forum » Administering WebMO » Remote Server Manager » TCP connect error: ECONNREFUSED when trying to use GAMESS « Previous Next »

Jon Serra
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, October 19, 2009 - 11:39 am:   

Greetings All, I have WebMo Pro configured on 8 remote compute nodes. All but one are working fine. On node 8, when I try to run a GAMESS project, I get the following error in the gamess output file:

Distributed Data Interface kickoff program.
Initiating 1 compute processes on 1 nodes to run the following command:
/usr/local/gamess/gamess.00.x /tmp/webmo-16851/jon/578/input

TCP connect error: ECONNREFUSED.
TCP: Connect failed. panther8 -> 192.168.1.109:39653.
A fatal error occurred on DDI Process 0.
TCP connect error: ECONNREFUSED.
TCP: Connect failed. panther8 -> 192.168.1.109:39653.
A fatal error occurred on DDI Process 1.

The strange thing is that 192.168.1.109 is not the correct ip for this node.

Does anyone know, is this a GAMESS error? Or a WebMo connect issue? The node works fine when running Mopac jobs. And, I can manually run GAMESS jobs on the node in any account by logging into the node.

TIA for any assistance, advice.
JR Schmidt
Username: Schmidt

Post Number: 120
Posted on Monday, October 19, 2009 - 12:00 pm:   

GAMESS has a very strange way of running jobs. As part of the process it tries to look up the IP address for the name, and connect to that node if it is not the local machine. Here GAMESS is trying to connect to "panther8", which I assume is the machine that WebMO is trying to run the job on.

1) I would verify that in fact WebMO did correctly connect to panther8, not another machine.
2) Assuming this is the case, it is probably not a WebMO issue. I would verify that your /etc/hosts file is setup correctly. For example, if you login to panther8 and type "ping panther8" verify that it is pinging the RIGHT IP address; if not, check /etc/hosts.
Jon Serra
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, October 19, 2009 - 12:57 pm:   

Hi,

Thanks for the very quick response. I checked and the WebMo server did indeed initially connect to the correct machine. And, the /etc/hosts files appear to be correct for both the node and the WebMo server.

Any ideas how GAMESS identifies and binds an ip address to a node's name? Any ideas what files does it check?

Once again, TIA .... JON

Add Your Message Here
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration