WebMO - Computational chemistry on the WWW
Recent news

WebMO 14.0 is now available for free download!

WebMO 14.0 Pro and Enterprise have a variety of additional features and is available for purchase.

The WebMO app for iPad/iPhone is now available on the App Store.

August 17, 2019

Running jobs using more cores than "C... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

WebMO Support Forum » Administering WebMO » System Manager » Running jobs using more cores than "CPU cores" in System Manager « Previous Next »

Greg Beran
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2014 - 8:19 pm:   

I have system manager set to use 62 cores (on a machine with 64). In the Gaussian interface, I have it set to allow using between 1 and 62 cores per job as well. However, I recently noticed that half a dozen jobs were running simultaneously that were effectively using ~90 cores, thereby bogging the machine down quite a bit. Shouldn't the CPU cores option in System Manager prevent that?
Greg Beran
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2014 - 8:28 pm:   

Follow-up to my post above. Or is this a likely problem in our SGE queue? At first glance, it looks to be configured correctly too...

What exactly does the CPU cores value in System Manager control?

Looking at the outputs more closely, I see Linda in Gaussian had effectively reduced the number of processors at various points in some of the jobs... so maybe the nominal load was less than 62 cores, at least at the time when it allowed subsequent jobs to start? I don't use Gaussian that often myself, so I am not totally familiar with how it handles the parallel scaling.

Still, I would think WebMO would count up how many are nominall
JR Schmidt
Username: Schmidt

Post Number: 391
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2014 - 2:21 pm:   

When using a queuing system the CPU core count in system manger is irrelevant. This is all totally a function of the SGE queue and SGE setup. You might need to tinker around a bit to get SGE set up properly. You can check the script and SGE options that were used to submit the SGE job. It is stored in the job directory, pbs_script.sh.

Add Your Message Here
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration