WebMO - Computational chemistry on the WWW
Recent news

WebMO 19.0 is now available for free download!

WebMO 19.0 Pro and Enterprise have a variety of additional features and is available for purchase.

The WebMO app is now available for iOS and Android.

August 24, 2019

Host key verification failed Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

WebMO Support Forum » Administering WebMO » Remote Server Manager (Pro) » Host key verification failed « Previous Next »

Joel Coldren
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 11:42 am:   

I have been unable to get my WebMO server to connect to my MOPAC server. When I have tried to add it, I keep getting the error, "host key verification failed". I was able to ssh with my public key as the webmo user via the command line with no problems.
Well, I finally found a solution, and am posting it here in case anyone else has this problem. Also, if there is a better solution, I would be happy to hear about it.
From this article:
https://askubuntu.com/questions/45679/ssh-connection-problem-with-host-key-verification-failed-error
I logged in to my WebMO server as the webmo user, and used
ssh -o StrictHostKeyChecking=no webmo@mopac-server.example.com uptime
and I was able to add the server and run jobs on it.
I have not yet looked at the specifics for this command to see if it is safe. I'll report back if I find out that there are any major security issues here. Also, if someone else has a better or alternate solution, I would be happy to hear it.
JR Schmidt
Username: Schmidt

Post Number: 514
Posted on Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 12:18 pm:   

Joel,

Normally the first time you SSH the hostkey is stored in 'known_hosts'. This is why you most first login at least once from the command line (as you did).

But also note that the known hosts are differentiated very strictly. So always use the FULLY QUALIFIED domain name, because 'mopac-server' and 'mopac-server.example.com' are considered DIFFERENT servers in known_hosts. This is almost certainly the cause fo the problem.
Joel Coldren
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 2:56 pm:   

Thank you for the reply.
I believe that that was the problem. I had used the hostname to connect via command line, whereas the WebMO interface asked for the fully qualified domain name. If I turn off StrictHostKeyChecking, and use the hostname in the Add Server setting, it connects successfully.
Thanks for your help!

Add Your Message Here
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration