WebMO - Computational chemistry on the WWW
Recent news

WebMO 6.1 is now available for free download!

WebMO 6.1 Pro has a variety of additional features and is available for purchase.

WebMO supports Windows, Mac, and Unix web browsers.

December 12, 2019

Viewer applet fails to load with Nets... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

WebMO Support Forum » Bug Reports » WebMO Version 3.X » Viewer applet fails to load with Netscape 7 (Linux) « Previous Next »

Kevin Dunn
Posted on Monday, September 02, 2002 - 10:38 am:   

I recently upgraded my netscape to version 7.0 (linux). Now the viewing applet has trouble loading and netscape hangs when I try to create a new job from the current geometry.Is there a compatibility issue between webmo and netscape 7?
schmidt
Posted on Monday, September 02, 2002 - 1:41 pm:   

It is certainly possible that there is a compatability problem with the Linux version of Netscape 7. Netscape 7 is based on the Mozilla source code, an entirely different piece of source code than the older, and far more stable, Netscape 4.x. Last time I checked, the Java support for Netscape 7 under Linux was not available. Thus, I would not be surprised if some bugs remained in the browser. I will try to check out the situation in the near future. For now, I would recommend sticking with the older, more stable, Netscape 4.7.
Sebastian Canagaratna
Posted on Friday, January 31, 2003 - 7:57 am:   

I have also experienced problems with the viewer and
the editor. I am using Linux (Debian; both testing
and unstable). With stable I had no problem using
Netscape 4.77, but after upgrading to testing Netscape 4.77 does not show the moelcules, nor can I call up the editor. I get the error message:
JavaScript error: Type 'javascript:' into Location for details. When I do this, I am taken to the Javascript place, but this does not seem very helpful. With unstable, I have only Mozilla browser, and that works sometimes, and sometimes does not. Once I get it to work it continues working till I close the browser. Even when it does not work, I get the message Java applet viewer started. I get the impression that a window is opened and closed immediately.

Any suggestions as to how to proceed?
schmidt
Posted on Friday, January 31, 2003 - 9:19 am:   

The WebMO applets work under Linux with Netscape 4.7, as you observed. However, the current version of WebMO (3.3) has some problems when running under Mozilla. I have managed to fix these problems, but since it involved a relatively large change to the applets the changes will not be available until the release of WebMO 4.0.

You might try downloading the older version of Netscape from:
http://wp.netscape.com/download/archive/client_archive47x.html
and see if it works on your system.

Sincerely,
JR Schmidt
Sebastian Canagaratna
Posted on Sunday, February 02, 2003 - 2:18 pm:   

Browsers that work.

Thanks to Schmidt for the information. I installed
on Linux (Debian, both testing and unstable) Netscape version 4.79 and they work with WebMO 3.3. On Pc's version 4.79 works, but 7.0 appear to work for a short while and then hangs up. Internet Explorer
5.5 after awhile freezes up the system.

The faculty here working with Macs are also having trouble. I installed HotJava 3 on OS version 9, that works, but rather slowly. A faculty member with OS X tried to install HotJava but couldn't get it to work.

Any suggestions from Mac Users will be apreciated.
schmidt
Posted on Monday, February 03, 2003 - 9:17 am:   

Just a response to the previous post. Mac support in WebMO 3.3 is rather poor. I have no idea if HotJava will run under OS X; I would doubt it, because it is so old.

The WebMO version 4.0 applet has been completely re-written to utilize Java 1.2 (Swing) when running under new browsers. This completely solves the compatability problems with Macs (will run under new versions of Netscape, Mozilla, possible more) and Netscape 6.2+/Mozilla on Windows and Unix.

Just an additional note. I am surprised that you are having lock ups when using WebMO under Windows. I know that there are some issues with Netscape 7 (solved in 4.0), but I have never personally experienced and problems with WebMO under ANY version of IE 4+.
Sebastian Canagaratna
Posted on Friday, February 07, 2003 - 9:55 am:   

Thanks for the comments.

You are right: the lock-ups are not found on all machines with IE. I did find some strange behavior
with Netscape 4.79 with some machines but not all.
I presume these problems will disappear with WebMO 4.0. When is this due to be released? Are are any
version available for testing.

One other point. It appears that if you try to do calculations on the benzene structure from the editor with Gamess, it is not possible to specify the symmetry, because this requires a precise specifcation of the bond lengths and angles. There
are small but significant differences in these parameters in the fragment causing Gamess to fail.
It seems rather laborious to have to edit the fragment to make the parameters equal. I wonder whether it might be a good thing to have these fragements precise in their symmetry, i.e., all angles 120.00, all lengths precisely equal etc.

Thanks
Carl Scheske
Posted on Friday, May 28, 2004 - 2:53 pm:   

I am looking for the file in Netscape 4.79 that has the address book e-mail addresses. I would like to very specifically back up that file.
Rajesh Babu
Posted on Tuesday, July 05, 2005 - 5:39 am:   

how to see javascript error in netscape 4.7 .i am not getting any solution for that.in IE if we double click we will get the JS error but here i am facing lot of problem .just explain for me
schmidt
Posted on Tuesday, July 05, 2005 - 10:57 am:   

Make sure Java is installed. You may need to install the Sun Java plug in.

Add Your Message Here
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration