Migrating data from an old WebMO install to a new WebMO install

jim.beers
Full Name: Jim Beers
Organization: Moravian University

Migrating data from an old WebMO install to a new WebMO install

Post by jim.beers »

We were running WebMO 19.0.009p alongside Gaussian 16 Rev A and have moved to WebMO 22.0.009p alongside Gaussian 16 Rev C.

The new WebMO/Gaussian install is running correctly.

I would like to migrate the data from the original installation to the new installation.

I see this as an option on the WebMO Help site, https://www.webmo.net/link/help/CopyingWebMOJobs.html, but that seems to be referring to backing up jobs for an individual user, which would require a separate tar file for each user.

I also see this, https://www.webmo.net/link/help/MovingWebMO.html, which ****may*** be more of what I'm looking for, but my concern is that I would be moving between versions rather than from one server to another running the same version.

What is the best course of action to follow to move all jobs from one server, running an older version of WebMO, to a different server running a newer version of WebMO.

Disclaimer - I'm just the IT guy to did the install. I am not a WebMO user. I just want to make sure I don't break what is already working when I restore the data.

polik
Full Name: Will Polik
Organization: WebMO LLC

Re: Migrating data from an old WebMO install to a new WebMO install

Post by polik »

If you want to move and upgrade an entire instance (all jobs for all users), then you want to follow https://www.webmo.net/link/help/MovingWebMO.html.

Note that with this procedure you FIRST COPY the WebMO 19 instance to a new instance, and THEN UPGRADE the copied instance from WebMO 19 to WebMO 22. Upgrading keeps all your users, jobs, and settings from before, so you would also need to edit the WebMO 22 instance to use Gaussian 16 Rev C, but that is minor configuration change within the Interface Manager for the Gaussian engine.

It sounds like you have already done a fresh install of WebMO 22 with no jobs in it. Personally, I would strongly recommend back-tracking and following the procedure in the previous paragraph. But if you want to try going forward, you would need to copy the entire user_Base directory (via tar and untar) from the WebMO 19 instance into the WebMO 22 instance. This directory contains all your user and job information. There have been no significant changes to the database structure between version 19 and 22, so this should work. This is not a supported route, so you would need to test it thoroughly.

As you point out, one could also backup and transfer the jobs for each user. But you would have to create each user again, it is a lot of redundant work to archive and import each user's jobs, and the resulting jobs would end up having different job numbers (which would invalidate the "history" of each job). Again, the first procedure above is recommended.

Regardless, keep both instances running side-by-side for a bit to ensure that the move/upgrade went smoothly. You can disable job submission on the old instance to prevent new jobs from being submitted on it. Later you can disable the old login page and eventually delete the old instance.